SMP MOTORSPORTS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SMP MOTORSPORTS

Enthusiast Car Forum

Navigation

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gallery

What are some advantages and disadvantages of different intakes? Should I go for a cold air intake (CAI), a JWT popcharger, or any other suggestions? Empty

What are some advantages and disadvantages of different intakes? Should I go for a cold air intake (CAI), a JWT popcharger, or any other suggestions?

jesse
    jesse
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 299
    Registration date : 2009-03-03

What are some advantages and disadvantages of different intakes? Should I go for a cold air intake (CAI), a JWT popcharger, or any other suggestions? Empty What are some advantages and disadvantages of different intakes? Should I go for a cold air intake (CAI), a JWT popcharger, or any other suggestions?

Post  jesse Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:50 pm

03-05 Stock intake:

pro: sucks COLD air from outside your engine bay, has low pressure losses, OEM paper filter is very good making this the cleanest intake for your engine

con: once you start flowing a lot more air in general, stock intake box may start to be restrictive.

2006+ Stock intake:

pro: same as above, except with an improved velocity stack / venturi ring. This accelerates air coming into the plenum, which is a more efficient design. Arguably the best intake available for the 350Z in my humble opinion.

con: same as above, but still one of the best out there

JWT popcharger:

pro: can suck higher volume of air compared to stock due to high performance filter. Improved velocity stack (venturi ring) compared even to 06+ stock intake. The venturi ring accelerates air coming into your plenum for added power.

con: sucks hot air from engine bay and heat shield does not really help all that much in preventing it from sucking hot air. People have reported a problem stalling when travelling at high speeds and putting the car in neutral with this intake.

STILLEN Intake:

pro: similar design to the JWT popcharger. Includes a venturi ring, and a very functional cold-air-box to make this one of the best intake available. Does not suffer from the same hot air sucking as the JWT popcharger.

con: the price is significantly higher than the JWT intake, but this is the only Con I can think of.

Long tube CAI such as Nismo, Injen:

pro: sucks colder air,
    con: Sometimes more pressure losses depending on cai due to a longer tube. This is a fact of life folks. More bends and longer tube = more pressure losses. In fact, long tube CAI's have even shown horsepower LOSSES on a dyno.

K&N typhoon (short tube like stock intake / JWT popcharger, but includes a front-mounted scoop):

pro: cone-type filter should suck a higher volume of air compared to stock. attempts to offset JWT popcharger's hot-air syndrome by incorporating a cold air scoop.

con: hard to prove that the scoop is actually effective

HKS Racing Suction

pro: Shorter tube like stock, higher flowing filter

con: People have stated that the install is difficult, price is rather high for what seems like a minimal improvement over JWT popcharger

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 pm