SMP MOTORSPORTS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SMP MOTORSPORTS

Enthusiast Car Forum

Navigation

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gallery

How to properly lube a Honda Empty

3 posters

How to properly lube a Honda

Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 267
    Registration date : 2009-03-03

How to properly lube a Honda Empty How to properly lube a Honda

Post  Supa Ninja Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:17 pm

I'm real picky on what oil/filter/MTF I run in my Honda. Mine is a little more sensitive for obvious reasons, but you NA guys can use this stuff too.

Motor oil is probally the most important of all fluids, its the engines blood. 8000 rpm redline, 11.0:1 compression, with some tight tolerences thrown in there its definitely very very important.

First off once your engines are properly broke in switch to full synthetic, thats a no brainer. I got 3mpg when mine was all stock after the switch. As far as synthetic oils go, they all are not the same. I could pull up some scientific research with graphs and numbers and stuff like that but instead I'll tell you what has worked for me and what hasn't worked for other boosted 8th gens.

Castrol syntec-garbage, its not even real full synthetic
    Mobil 1- a lot of 8th gen owners swear buy it, but it burns off quick if your boosted and i have heard the same from NA guys. I won't run it.
    Royal Purple- has been atributted to destroying several GReddy turbo's. I know some people swear by that stuff but once again I won't run it.
    Quaker State Q- now this stuff is awesome, zero burn off and I have nothing bad to say about it. Its $7-8 a qt and well worth it.
    Then theres all the exotic oils, the amsoils, enthos, and all the other fancy stuff. I have used several other moto oils in my bike with great success but to be honest for a DD they are pricey.

Oil filters are the Liver in us humans, friggin super important. The best oil in the world won't do you jack if you got a POS Fram in there not filtering crap. Now I have been doining lots and lots of research and so far there are 3 filters that are worthy of my engine.

Puralator Pure One PL14610- the price is right, fitment is not an issue, and it is one of the best at filtering...if not the best.

Now if your feeling squirly and remove the heat shield, S2000 filters will fit. Why a S2000 filter on a Civic you might ask? Too easy, our filter is the same as the R18, D16, B16....its just a oil filter, the S2000 has a 8700 rpm redline and higher oil pressure, so it needs a badass oil filter. In addition its bigger which means more filter material to trap more particles with less pressure drop. Surprissingly the puralator filter for the S2000 is a piece of crap.

K&N HP-1004
    Mobile 1 M-104

both are a bit pricey but they have had great success on honda motors.

I get this a alot too, "why not just use Honda filters and Honda motor oil?" For one their filters manufactures change every so often so it becomes a crap shoot to get a decent one. Their oil is recycled, enough said.

Now our cars are notorious for third gear popping out. Mine has never done it but i sometimes have a little bit of a problem getting into third when i'm just driving like normal. I solved most of it with Royal Purple Synchromax high performance manual transmission fluid. bit of a pain to fil because of how much crap is stuffed inside that tranny, but well worth the mess you'll make. The trick it is to get a giant automotive syringe.

Well thats my advice, take it or leave it.
    Huggy Bear
    Huggy Bear
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 93
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

How to properly lube a Honda Empty Re: How to properly lube a Honda

Post  Huggy Bear Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:26 pm

Mad props on this. Also for all you think ahead kinda guys, HAMP has a smooth oil filter. It's a JDM import you have to order. It's like 7 bucks. They didn't send it to the states with the USDM cars because they said it was too expensive. I think they wanted to keep it for themselves. But check it out.
    Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Supa Ninja Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:33 pm

Huggy Bear wrote:Mad props on this. Also for all you think ahead kinda guys, HAMP has a smooth oil filter. It's a JDM import you have to order. It's like 7 bucks. They didn't send it to the states with the USDM cars because they said it was too expensive. I think they wanted to keep it for themselves. But check it out.

Ya the HAMP stuff I'm tracking on but I am having great success with the aftermarket oil filters, and i don't have to have them imported.
    Huggy Bear
    Huggy Bear
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 93
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Post  Huggy Bear Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:21 pm

That's cool. You also have boost. And for that I hate your guts Ice-T (Dave Chappelle). Hey did your chain come in yet?
    Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Supa Ninja Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:31 pm

not yet but my new walbro did.
    jesse
    jesse
    Admin