SMP MOTORSPORTS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SMP MOTORSPORTS

Enthusiast Car Forum

Navigation

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gallery

Big update: Empty

Big update:

Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 267
    Registration date : 2009-03-03

Big update: Empty Big update:

Post  Supa Ninja Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:23 am

So I was heading back from the strip and my Si was running weak as hell. I couldn't get more then 4.5psi no matter how much I turned up my EBC, I could barely get over 4500 rpm, vtec froget about it, and the exhaust was quiter then stock.

so i'm driving back and i hear a loud pop. first thing i think is awww fuck the motor popped. i see a big cloud of black smoke and the exhaust was really loud. appearantly it fixed itself and unclogged the cat. i had to pull over and turn the boost back down and mess around with the afr's.

holy fuck its running strong as hell now. I'm going to do a kick ass street tune and take it the strip sunday for sum test and tune goodness.
    Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

Big update: Empty Re: Big update:

Post  Supa Ninja Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:34 pm

Goob dammit, I'm still popping under acceleration, my AFR's all read bad, #4 spark plug is still perpetiually wet, and I'm still getting a CEL. I have been doing lots and lots of research on the net and talking to actual honduh mechanics.

Here is a list of possible things I need to address:

-Exhaust cam possibly having a flat lobe, I'm going to pull the vlave cover off today and check that, I had the same problem on my VW and it is very similar in symptoms, grrrrrrrrr $300 for a new one.

-ECU is bad, definitely a possiblity, when I installed my turbo I did wire up a couple of wires wrong and I have had the same CEL's ever since, grrrrrrrrr $330 plus I however much it will be to have my VIN and immobilizer flashed to it.

-valve guide seals leaking is prolly whats causing #4 plug to be oily, its about $10 for parts and pain in the but to install but I can do it without pulling the head so it would onlt be about a one day ordeal.

-Cam timing being off, that is a possibility since I had such a hell of a time with the timing chain when i did the head gasket. I'll be ahecking that today when i pull the valve cover. If its off I'll prolly have to buy adjustable cam gears (I don't even know if I can get one for the intake cam since its varible timing)

-Vacuum leak-ya I already fixed a big one from my catch can, I couldn't find another one.

-F'd up O2 sensors. My upstream is giving me a heater fault so it needs replacement $100. I think my AEM wideband one got damaged from the clogged cat, $70. My down stream one is bent to shit possibly from the backfiring or when the guts of the Cat shot out when it unclogged, $60. $250 for all new ones, grrrrrrrrrr. I just pulled all the plugs and they showed that yes I am running rich and not lean like sensors are telling me. I do have to get 3 new ones.

I am so close to saying the hell with it and taking into Honda and have them diagnose the actual problem. I can figure out some of it on my own, but not all of it. No way I'm going to be able to get this tuned properly till I sort all this BS. Damn I'm frusterated.
    Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Supa Ninja Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:25 pm

Here's what I found:

Exhaust Cam Lobes look good, didn't see any flattening.
    Cam Timing is spot on so thats not it.
    The brand spanking new plugs I put on it were covered in carbon after only 15 miles of driving...definitely running rich. I leaned my fuel map way the fuck out.

What does that all mean?

Need all new O2 sensors and if that doesn't fix it I will need a new ECU too. I am supposed to deploy in May so I doubt I will be able to scrounge up that kinda cheddar in the next month. Also my ran my battery down a couple of times last week, looks like I need a new one of those too.
    Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Supa Ninja Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:18 am

still having the hard start issue, going to dive into that tomorrow.

Remapped my MAF map and that cured my leaning out up top issues. I thought it also cleared out my misfire CELs but they were back as soon as I boosted over 5500 rpm. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content