SMP MOTORSPORTS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SMP MOTORSPORTS

Enthusiast Car Forum

Navigation

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gallery

Neighborhood Watch Empty

3 posters

Neighborhood Watch

Huggy Bear
    Huggy Bear
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 93
    Registration date : 2009-03-05

Neighborhood Watch Empty Neighborhood Watch

Post  Huggy Bear Thu May 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Nothing really technical, but on alot of forums I visit there has been a rash of thefts and everyone assumes they are the same theifs. I'm gonna break down what I've seen over the years. As a former wrong side of the law practitioner, I feel I may know a lil about this. Be mind ful of our surroundings as the weather heats up and more people start to show their ungly faces at spots.

1. Snatch and grab.

This theif is in and out as quick as possible. He wants NO attention drawn to him. They case the car real quick, break a window and grab what they want. They carry very little tools (usually none) and take what's in sight. Usually they grab the radio, cd cases, Ipods, wallets and purses and are gone.

Usually if they see an LED flashing, they will move to an easier, quiet target. They rarely go through a trunk or backseat. Just whatever is in sight. They grab and go straight to the pawn shop then are back on the street.

Usually a loner or has a lookout.

How to prevent: Don't leave your valuables out in the open and take your faceplate off your car. No big audio stickers, get at least a basic alarm and don't go "booming" into your driveway or office parking lot.

2. The Scout.

This guy is shady. When you're hanging out in a parking lot with your friends or crew, this is the guy that rolls up out of nowhere and checks everything out. He may have a camera and acts really curious. May ask where you work so he can come by and ask you questions, he may have a small note pad with him. No one ever really knows him, he just always finds the crowd. Basically, he's scouting his targets.

He also listens for alarm chirps and checks keypads, gets a good note of who has what and where it's located, if it's secure etc.

With the notes he has, he can do alot more damage and plan things out further. He may follow someone home or to work. He may follow the crowd and wait till everyone goes to a movie, arcade, mall, etc. Then he goes to work.

Once again, usually a loner who may have a simple lookout.

How to prevent: Don't divulge alot of info to strangers. Don't show everyone your stereo setup or your cool new tv. Keep track of who you're talking to and watch your car when hanging out late at night.

3. The Professional.

This guy operates the same way as the scout, but alot more brazen. Usually they have alot more knowledge of cars, audio, security, etc. This guy's gonna take his time and be cool about it. He's gonna pop the door open, pop the hood, and cut the siren and go to work. Usually nice and calm with alot of tools. A pro who has a plan and one of the worse guys by far.

How to prevent: Make sure everything is bolted down and serial numbers and reciepts are kept. These guys are determined and will do what it takes for the right equipment.

Those were the "audio/electronics" theives. The car guys are as follows.

1. The Kid.

This guy just looks for easy oppportunities. Run into the gas station and leave your keys in the ignition and he'll take it. Have a spare key under the rear bumper, he'll check for it.

Loner with nothing to do since they dropped out of school.

How to prevent: Be aware of your surroundings and don't EVER leave your keys in your car. ALEX!!!!

2. The Booster.

This guy looks for a quick grab. A Honda/Acura without an alarm or anyone in sight. He's gonna pop the column and be on his way. Alarms usually run them off as they draw attention and make him work faster. He's gonna snatch the car, go for a joyride then dump it.

Late night thrill seeker, usually just tear the car up.

How to prevent: A good alarm. A solid install and make sure you arm the damn thing...lol. Park in a well lit area and try to go check on your car occasionally.

3. The Ring.

These guys work the same as the scout. They plan and watch. Once they get in the car, they cut the siren and take what they want. They have the car already "sold" and move it out of town asap. Usually these are the guys that leave the shell behind a dumpster somewhere. Professionals with alot of resources, time, tools and experience.

How to prevent: If you have the money to buy a set of TE-37's in a custom finish and offset or a K20, you have the money for a VERY VERY solid alarm install. Park in a well lit area, in a garage if possible, and check on your ride frequently. Do NOT ignore the sound of a siren and keep reciepts. Be vigilant and safe.

And remember only you can prevent forest fires.
    Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 267
    Registration date : 2009-03-03

Neighborhood Watch Empty Re: Neighborhood Watch

Post  Supa Ninja Thu May 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Great article but you never mentioned lojack. great tool for catching the serious theives.
    jesse
    jesse
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 299
    Registration date : 2009-03-03

Neighborhood Watch Empty Re: Neighborhood Watch

Post  jesse Thu May 28, 2009 10:55 pm

yep i recomend lojack
    Huggy Bear
    Huggy Bear
    Mod