SMP MOTORSPORTS

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SMP MOTORSPORTS

Enthusiast Car Forum

Navigation

March 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Gallery

"I thought we were 8th gens not 6th gens?" Empty

2 posters

"I thought we were 8th gens not 6th gens?"

Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 267
    Registration date : 2009-03-03

"I thought we were 8th gens not 6th gens?" Empty "I thought we were 8th gens not 6th gens?"

Post  Supa Ninja Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:22 am

8th gens refers to the 8th generation of the Honda Civic which started in 2006 till present. To include the R18 slow civics and the Si.

6th gen Si is the FG2 and the FA5, aka the Si coupe/sedan from '06 to present.

Since this is a car car club, the name is street mod performance, I am not including the R18 in the Honda section since its a economy car not a performance machine.

Here is a list of differences in a R18 and Si:
    Si has a K20Z3 DOHC iVTEC rated 197bhp
    R18 is a SOHC iVTEC 139bhp
    Si had red gauges R18 blue
    Si bigger front brakes(DX has drums in the rear, lol)
    Si better suspension
    Si has a 6 speed w/LSD
    Si has better seats
    Si has different wheels grill/spoiler/stickers on the quarter panels

Maybe one day a r18 will want to joi or be reading this. good, they will think I'm just another stuck up Si owner. Sorry kid the r18 is not performance, trade it in for a performance car then mod it. Am I a stuck up Si owner....you better believe it!!!!!
    jesse
    jesse
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 299

"I thought we were 8th gens not 6th gens?" Empty Re: "I thought we were 8th gens not 6th gens?"

Post  jesse Fri May 01, 2009 4:41 pm

I have to disagree with that. This is what you are saying is that a base model 350z is not a performance vechicle but a nismo is or a wrx is not but a sti is. Maybe some people are smart and know that in the long run its cheaper to get a base model and fix it up with there own performance parts not stck aftermaket peices and come out faster then the top of the line because you still got to upgrade intake, exhaust, suspension, motor, to get a performance car. What you are saying might as well get a super car and call it a day. Pay for a name and not turn a wrench. Between the base and the si is a $6,000 difference that could be a turbo system, or a shit load of performance parts to put the si to shame. That crap is really what grinds my gears. Badges and names who cares. O yea they are excpetions like the evo and lancer way to much money to convert that over from front wheel to all wheel drive car.
    Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

"I thought we were 8th gens not 6th gens?" Empty Re: "I thought we were 8th gens not 6th gens?"

Post  Supa Ninja Sat May 02, 2009 2:56 am

jesse wrote:I have to disagree with that. This is what you are saying is that a base model 350z is not a performance vechicle but a nismo is or a wrx is not but a sti is. Maybe some people are smart and know that in the long run its cheaper to get a base model and fix it up with there own performance parts not stck aftermaket peices and come out faster then the top of the line because you still got to upgrade intake, exhaust, suspension, motor, to get a performance car. What you are saying might as well get a super car and call it a day. Pay for a name and not turn a wrench. Between the base and the si is a $6,000 difference that could be a turbo system, or a shit load of performance parts to put the si to shame. That crap is really what grinds my gears. Badges and names who cares. O yea they are excpetions like the evo and lancer way to much money to convert that over from front wheel to all wheel drive car.

LOL, your examples are all performance cars, I'm talking about R18's, Hondas econobox. Your lancer/evo analogy is on the same lines of what my post is about. If your a baller and want to completely go through a civic DX, for example, and change the engine/trans/brakes/suspension/seats then ya more power too you but just a K20 swap alone would equal more then the 6g difference in the price tag. but if you want a good starting platform and just upgrade the power and have a decent performance machine in the mean time then it makes absolutely no sense to start with a sub-model.
    While I'm on the topic if I was going to upgrade everything and spend that kind of money I might as well get a STi/Evo...thats the kind of cheddar I'm talking about.
    Oh ya for the record a boosted R18 makes about the same power as a NA with bolt-ons, right around 200whp.
    jesse
    jesse
    Admin
    Admin

Post  jesse Sat May 02, 2009 3:50 am

Like I stated earlier if you are gonna swap and upgrade what you got then why pay the extra unless badges and names plus you can by a crate dart you really freakin cheap and stomp the si or even find a wrecked one motor swap it and still save money.
    Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Supa Ninja Tue May 05, 2009 9:09 pm

There are no cheap k20z3's yet. supply and demand, the k20 swap is gaining a lot of popularty so that will keep the costs high. I'm saying for a casual tuner the Si makes more logical sense. why would anyone completely build up a civic, they could have so much more car then that. FWD is a horrible platform if your going balls to the wall on a build.

The original intent of this thread is to state why the r18 civics are pointless to mod. I think you completely missed the point jesse. Its not about badges, its about a better platform to improve upon.
    jesse
    jesse
    Admin
    Admin

Post  jesse Wed May 06, 2009 12:29 am

Nick if fwd are a bad platform to start on why did you hop on the band wagon. if you are gonna mod and upgrade everything on your vechile why pay for the extea stuff. Plus motor swaps don't just consist of ka motor. You don't even have to do a motor swap. Just dint tell me a si is a performance vechile and the other can't be one.
    Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Supa Ninja Wed May 06, 2009 12:44 am

I wanted a challenge, I can always look back and say, ya i made a civic fast. and yes one is a performance vehicle and the other is a economy vehicle. i post some specs over in the honda section, read them. the differences are black and white. the r18 is severly limited from the factory. the exhaust manifold is casted into the head and flows horribly. the IM is friggin plastic. the block is weak and so are the connecting rods. just not worth it.

if you want to go all out and replace everthing but the shell then ya a civic dx would be the best since they are the cheapest, otherwise its not worth it.
    jesse
    jesse
    Admin
    Admin

Post  jesse Wed May 06, 2009 12:56 am

Oh well someone is moody. Yea I read the specs not that impressed. But there there. Nick lightn up just bustin your bubble
    Supa Ninja
    Supa Ninja
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Supa Ninja Wed May 06, 2009 7:01 am

no bubble to bust, I drive a friggin civic, they ain't fast.
    jesse
    jesse
    Admin
    Admin

Post  jesse Wed May 06, 2009 2:07 pm

They fast enough for some people.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm